Staff Firmware Engineer
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2023
The workplace has undergone a complete transformation. Historically, occupancy was consistent; everyone worked in-office five days per week. But post-pandemic, occupancy is inconsistent, unpredictable, and dynamic, as work has become more flexible than ever before. In order to make decisions with confidence, workplace, CRE, and facilities management leaders need a true understanding of how and when their spaces are used.
VergeSense is the company behind the world’s first and only Occupancy Intelligence Platform. Over 170 companies across 43 countries and 75M sqft rely on occupancy intelligence to make confident, fact-based optimization decisions to improve employee experience and decrease costs. VergeSense customers use our platform, which is built on a foundation of the industry's most accurate occupancy sensors, to right-size their portfolio, validate space planning and designs, optimize cleaning operations, and ensure their teams can always find spaces to work.
This position reports to an office in Mountain View, CA
We are looking for an experienced staff firmware engineer with strong technical skills to be a key part of Vergesense’s engineering team. This role is based out of our MountainView HQ. Vergesense favors a hybrid work style and we are pretty flexible depending on personal needs.
As a staff engineer at VergeSense you will be a senior member that will drive how we build and what we build. You’ll work on architecture and design. You’ll bring new products and features to market. You’ll shape how we execute as a team and organization. As a staff engineer, you are contributing across code, architecture, process, and organization.
What You'll Do:
- Designing and building the next generation of wireless camera AI products in the workplace.
- Optimize and balance performance across power consumption, edge AI / image inference, and useability.
- Drive system architecture design and new applications development end-to-end
- As a Project Lead; drive the design and development of business-critical products & features that deploy to more than a hundred thousand devices across hundreds of global Fortune 500 customers.
- Use your creativity to deliver innovative solutions from concept to prototype to production. We like to identify new ideas, projects, features and prototype fast.
- Conduct software unit tests to exercise your implemented functionality.
- Actively contribute to increasing the overall quality of the code base and our internal processes & standards.
- Drive communications and interactions with the team to clearly set expectations, share technical details, resolve issues, and report progress.
- Participate in brainstorms and otherwise contribute outside your area of expertise.
- Be a mentor to other team members
What You'll Need:
- 10+ years experience developing and supporting embedded systems.
- Experience with RTOS and/or bare-metal systems.
- Experience with IoT device technologies such as; over-the-air firmware updates, wireless communication (802.15.4/Bluetooth/Thread/Wirepas, Wi-Fi, Cellular), low power / battery powered systems, fleet management functionality, remote diagnostics.
- Experience with integrating and operating camera modules in an embedded system.
- Design for security experience.
- Experience working on diagnostic and communication interfaces including RS-232/485, I2C, SPI.
- Experience designing a variety of peripheral devices and sensors.
- Ability and willingness to make critical system-level design decisions and drive projects from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Nice to Have:
- Experience as a team lead
- Experience with Yocto OS
- Experience integrating machine learning models into embedded systems
- Experience with camera-based IoT systems
• A high-impact role in an emerging industry leader
• Competitive compensation and equity
• Employer-sponsored medical, dental and vision insurance
• Open Vacation policy: take time off when you need it
We value people from all walks of life who exhibit kindness, curiosity, discipline, humility, and passion to excel at what they do. If you would like to contribute to our team, we encourage you to apply.