Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Obie is an insurance technology company, hyper-focused on driving value for the modern real estate investor and the partners they work with every day. Whether an owner, lender, agent, or property manager, Obie’s mission is to build technology and insurance products that drive efficiency and fundamentally change the way insurance is bought and sold.
As the industry leader in embedded and instant insurance products, Obie was recently honored as Business Insurance Best Places to Work and one of Inc Magazine's Fastest Growing Companies for 2022. Obie is one of a small number of companies that are both a Y-Combinator and NAR REACH accelerator alum.
To date, Obie has raised $13.7 million from leading proptech investors including Battery Ventures, Thomvest Ventures, MetaProp, Second Century Ventures, and Funders Club. The company has two offices, one in Chicago, IL and the other in Sarasota, FL, but also offers employees the option to work remotely.
Brief Summary of Role
Obie is looking for an innovative, bright, motivated and hard-working individual to join our team to help us accomplish our mission of combining insurance know-how, innovative technology and world-class service to delight our customers.
Those successful in this role will be highly self-motivated and self-directed. You’ll have a strong drive to build and nourish a growing book of business. An ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction.
What You'll Do
- Leverage direct to consumer quotes & lead opportunities to effectively bind new business
- Professionally communicate with prospective clients, qualifying their risk profile with deliverable quotes
- Proactively follow up with open or unfinished quotes to make a sale
- Track and manage new sales leads and metrics
- Collect product and market feedback from customers
What You'll Bring
- Active Property & Casualty License
- 1+ years of insurance sales experience including experience selling novel insurance products and services
- Flexibility and adaptability to evolve rapidly with the company’s needs
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills and overall professional demeanor
- Experience and comfort using a variety of software tools from G Suite to policy & agency management systems
- Personal standard for excellence: Strong process orientation and interest in finding cheaper, better and faster ways to do things
- Positive “can do” attitude and desire to contribute to a growing, energetic work environment
We want you at your best, and won't be giving you any gotcha-style questions - we aren't like that. We want to get to know you, hear about what you're interested in, and learn about what you hope to do in the future.
You should familiarize yourself with these resources before continuing:
a. Our company’s blog to learn more about the space we’re working in, where we write about landlord insurance.
b. Check out our Twitter and LinkedIn to get a glimpse of how people interact with our brand and product.
c. Some posts with and about us around the web (Inc 5000, Estate Innovation, Geek Estate Blog, Business Wire)
d. Podcast appearances: (The Ryan Hanley Show, REM #22)
1. Meet us and learn about Obie
You'll first talk to Kara or Rebecca on a 30 minute call; you won't need to prepare anything in advance. The goal of this conversation is to get to know you and mutually explore if we might be a good fit for each other. You'll learn more about Obie and have a chance to ask any questions about our company, team, culture, and product.
2. Meet the hiring manager
You'll get to have a 45 minute video interview with the hiring manager for this role, Joel Place. This discussion will be more technical in nature to ensure you have the skills needed to be successful in the role.
3. Project exercise
We will present you with a short exercise to complete, so please be thorough and use the resources available to you. More on this when you get there!
4. Meet the team
Since you'll be joining a close-knit team, we'll ask you to meet other people in the company so we get to know each other a bit better.
Obie has you covered
Being in the insurance industry, we understand the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Flexible time off with an encouraged minimum time away to support a healthy work-life balance
12 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Great health, dental and vision coverage
Flexible Spending & Health Savings Accounts
Pet Insurance Reimbursement
Equipment budget - everything you need to do your best work
Professional development support
See more open positions at Obie
Something looks off?